Solicitor, Private Client
Solicitor, Private Client
Let us introduce ourselves
Mayo Wynne Baxter has over 170 staff and Partners across our Sussex offices and have been providing advice to the people of Sussex and beyond for over 150 years. We are proud of our heritage and our strong reputation in Sussex, but we have clients based across the globe. you will be joining a firm that prides itself on delivering exceptional service to our clients and to each other, in a friendly and supportive way.
We believe that we are stronger together and that our differences make us strong. We know that we are all more effective and perform at our best when we can completely be ourselves, and that the more diverse perspectives we have, the more we are able to learn, grow and thrive.
We believe in trusting our people to make the right decisions for themselves, from when and where you work, to how you dress; we focus on outputs.
Meet the Private Client team
Our Private team comprises of 15 solicitors who act for a broad range of clients. Like the rest of the firm, we are pursuing an ambitious growth strategy over the next 3 years having recently joined Ampa – the UK’s leading group of legal and professional services companies.
As a result of this merger, our clients now have access to more than 900 experts across the group. These include new service areas such as planning, cyber security, data protection and risk management, to name a few.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a Private Client Solicitor with particular court of protection experience to assist a senior legal advisor in the management of a busy caseload comprising of complex matters including: acquired brain injuries; mental health issues; learning difficulties and the elderly.
The caseload consists of deputyship applications; disputed Lasting Powers of Attorney; lifetime gifting and advance decisions and Statutory Wills.
These cases typically involve higher asset levels making it complex and varied work for a person with a keen eye for detail.
The ideal person will have between 1 to 4 years’ post qualification advising in this area and will have some experience of responding to telephone enquiries from clients, supporting daily financial administration, making deputyship applications, preparing annual deputyship reports as well as producing financial reports and budgets.
It is envisaged that this will be a full time role but we are always willing to consider different working patterns.
We are looking for someone with ambition and drive to join our team.
Your key duties will be
- to handle a caseload of matters relating to the court of protection
- working closely with a range of clients to provide fast and pragmatic advice
- working with marketing strategies to attract new clients and developing relationships with current clients
- assisting in development opportunities within Mayo Wynne Baxter and externally
- assisting senior team members and delegating appropriate work to paralegals
Skills and experience you will have:
- relevant experience working in a private client department
- some knowledge of the Mental Capacity Act
- ability to manage your workload, knowing when to delegate and when to request additional input, to provide the best client service
- an understanding of clients as our business partners & the importance of knowing what is key for them
- a willingness to engage in business development
- ambition, leadership capability and vision to work as a team to grow the business
Key competencies you will need: How we work
- a high degree of initiative and the ability to cope in a demanding environment
- excellent organisational and prioritising skills
- the ability to work in a busy but very supportive team
- excellent communication skills
- able to demonstrate empathy and compassion
How we work
We embrace agile working and offer a blended approach to where and how we work.
We appreciate that people have different needs and preferences, and we’re keen to be flexible, after all, we value what you do, not where you do it.
We have offices in hubs in Crawley, East Grinstead, Lewes, Brighton, Eastbourne, Seaford and Storrington. This role will require you to attend different offices from time to time and can encompass some home working.
MWB encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to join our team. We seek to engage a diverse workforce, focusing on inclusivity and fair treatment for all. We oppose all forms of discrimination and promote equality of opportunity in everything we do. We can make reasonable adjustments for applicants and employees with a disability so please let us know about any specific needs and requirements you have.
Please contact Grace Young email@example.com for more information/to apply