HMCTS weekly operational update: week commencing 27 July 2020
HMCTS weekly operational update: week commencing 27 July 2020
Since Friday 24 April 2020 we are issuing weekly updates on our operational position and on Monday mornings we’ll also publish a link to the weekly update on Twitter.
We are currently issuing weekly updates on our operational position. Follow us on @HMCTSgovuk to also check for daily or urgent updates.
Next week’s update will be issued on Friday 31 July 2020.
- Updated: From Monday 27 July 2020, we’re encouraging all court and tribunals users to wear a face covering in our buildings in England unless they have valid reason not to. This minimises the coronavirus risks throughout our buildings. Those using our buildings in Wales and Scotland may also wear a face covering.
- The Lord Chancellor has announced locations for 10 ‘Nightingale Courts’ which have been rapidly set up to tackle the impact of coronavirus on the justice system.
- Since 17 July 2020, we are no longer publishing the tracker list as most of our courts and tribunals buildings are now open in line with public health advice. Find the current status and contact details of courts and tribunals using our court and tribunal finder service.
- The Kinly Cloud Video Platform (CVP) is being rolled out to Crown and magistrates’ courts across England and Wales to support video enabled hearings. We are extending the availability of our new video platform to civil and family courts, to enable more remote cases to be heard safely and securely. For more info on joining telephone and video hearings please see our guide. We’ve also published information for legal practitioners who are involved in video enabled criminal hearings. If you require technical support for a telephone or video hearing can call 0330 8089405.
- Our Courts and Tribunals Service Centres will be available from 8am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8am to 4pm on Fridays until further notice. Courts and Tribunals Service Centre – advice on contacting HMCTS during coronavirus (PDF, 218KB, 5 pages).
- Updated: Welsh Language services available during the coronavirus outbreak. Welsh language services update (PDF, 133KB, 1 page).
- Updated: As of Monday 27 July 2020, Jury Trials will have resumed in 57 Crown Courts.
- Crown Courts are dealing with a range of work, much of which is being done remotely. This includes sentencing hearings and all urgent applications including applications for bail and applications to extend custody time limits. Pre-trial preparation hearings and further case management hearings are also taking place.
- Magistrates’ courts and the Youth Courts are now dealing with all criminal business types. Urgent cases such as those where the defendant is being held in police or prison custody will continue to take priority. continue to cover urgent work, such as cases where the defendant is being held in police or prison custody. Magistrates’ court cases (PDF, 112KB, 1 page).
- The number of summary trials listed is increasing, whilst still ensuring prioritisation is given to cases involving an allegation of domestic abuse and Domestic Violence Protection Orders.
- Cases where defendants are on bail and require listing in either a GAP or NGAP court are also being heard.
- The Judiciary has published a note of listing in magistrates’ courts during coronavirus outbreak.
- Various other work including police traffic prosecutions, continue to be dealt with remotely using the Single Justice Procedure.
- All questions about paying an outstanding criminal court fine should be sent to our National Compliance and Enforcement Service at NCESWE@justice.gov.uk or call 0300 123 9252.
- Family courts business priorities. Family court business priorities w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 87.6KB, 1 page).
- Family court C100 (child arrangements) guidance. Family court: Child Arrangements C100 application guidance (PDF, 120KB, 1 page).
- Guidance on replacement of affidavits with statements of truth in non-contentious probate processes.
- Coronavirus contingency arrangements for Family Law Act injunctions. Family Law Act injunctions changes (PDF, 126KB, 1 page).
- Civil court listing priorities. Civil court listing priorities w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 74.6KB, 1 page).
- Payment of fees to the Lands Chamber, Payment of application and hearing fees to the Property Chamber.
- First tier tax tribunal operational update First Tier Tax Tribunal operational update w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 156KB, 1 page).
- Property and General Regulatory Chamber operational updates Property and General Regulatory Chamber operational updates w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 38KB, 1 page).
- The Judiciary have published a frequently asked questions document on Employment Tribunals during the coronavirus for parties who are representing themselves and professional representatives.
- The Judiciary have published a frequently asked questions document for the First-Tier Tribunal (Tax Chamber) during the coronavirus to assist users to better understand the services the Tribunal is currently providing. First-Tier Tribunal (Tax Chamber) covid-19 frequently asked questions (PDF, 165KB, 5 pages)
- Mental Health Tribunal telephone hearing guidance. Mental Health Tribunal telephone guidance (PDF, 85.9KB, 1 page).
- First Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal operational update. First Tier IAC operational update w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 88.7KB, 1 page).
- Upper Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal operational update. Upper Tier IAC operational update w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 116KB, 1 page).
- The Upper Tribunal Immigration and Asylum Chamber has made changes to the way it currently works. Since Thursday 30 April 2020, all Judicial Review applications can be lodged using email. Upper Tribunal IAC Judicial Review changes (PDF, 173KB, 2 pages).
Royal Courts of Justice
- The Royal Courts of Justice Operational Update: The Royal Courts of Justice operational update w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 78.7KB, 1 page).
- The High Court is covering work according to the High Court Contingency Plan.
- More detailed guidance for the Administrative Court Office. Administrative Court Office guidance (PDF, 290KB, 8 pages) Queen’s Bench guidance (PDF, 394KB, 3 pages)
- Updated: More detailed guidance for the Queen’s Bench. Queen’s Bench guidance – Interim Applications Court (PDF, 166KB, 1 page) Queen’s Bench guidance – Bulletin 1 (PDF, 258KB, 3 pages) Queen’s Bench information for court users (PDF, 525KB, 13 pages) HMCTS Document Upload Centre – Professional User’s Guide (PDF, 511KB, 3 pages) Queen’s Bench guidance – Document Upload Centre (PDF, 62.7KB, 1 page).
- The Court of Appeal Civil Division is covering work according to the RCJ Court of Appeal Civil urgent business priorities. Court of Appeal Civil urgent business priorities w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 90KB, 1 page).
- The Court of Appeal Criminal Division is covering work according to the RCJ Court of Appeal Criminal Emergency Plan. RCJ Court of Appeal Criminal Division update w/c 27 July 2020 (PDF, 101KB, 3 pages).
- Updated: The Royal Courts of Justice Fees Office is currently open to the public during the hours of 10:00am and 14:00pm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday Royal Courts of Justice Fees Office update (PDF, 393KB, 1 page).
- Updated: The Senior Costs Judge has published a note on hearings and detailed assessments in the Senior Courts Costs Office Senior Courts Costs Office update (PDF, 64.6KB, 3 pages).